Monday, June 28, 2010

Venezuela's Ray Olmedo Talks Baseball


One of the Brewers organization's top infielders is second baseman Ray Olmedo, who has spent much of five previous seasons in the majors. Olmedo is a regular starter for the AAA Nashville Sounds, now battling for first place in the PCL North Division with Iowa, Memphis and Omaha.

Olmedo, nicknamed "Rainer", has played in almost 200 big league games with the Reds and Blue Jays. He carries on the very strong Venezuelan baseball tradition in the majors and counts several of the Venezuelan baseball legends as mentors and coaches, including Omar Vizquel, Luis Aparicio and Dave Concepcion. Olmedo is grateful for his family, friends and coaches.

"I've had a lot of guys help me," said Olmedo outside the Sounds' clubhouse. "I've had a lot of good experiences that have helped me." Olmedo mentions he is good friends with fellow Venezuelan player Alex Gonzalez (Blue Jays) and has learned a lot from such players and legends as Ken Griffey, Jr., and Barry Larkin with the Reds. He is also grateful for his family.

"I'm very appreciative to my dad," said Olmedo. "He did everything with me, especially when I was little. He threw to me and my brother a lot, helping us get better. Now I have my wife and baby who really support me. They are my main motivation now." Olmedo has a three-year-old daughter.

2 comments:

  1. Who did he play for the most in the majors? What about stats in both majors and minors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the other players mentioned from Venezuela too??

    ReplyDelete